Design Obsolescence this Ain't


So I have noticed that Verizon is really at the top of it’s game, marking wise. I saw an ad for the new Nokia, the 1020, you know the one with great Carl Zeiss camera, yeah that’s right the one that isn’t even supported by the Verizon network. That did not stop them from putting a branding tag onto the end. They also tagged the end of the iPhone commercial as well as the Samsung ad. In a very shrewd way they are co-oping the brand loyalty and letting us know that they are all welcome at Verizon.

iPhone5c, colors on Apple phone

Nokia flagship camera phone for Windows 8

Samsung Galaxy for verizon






That said, what if Verizon were to get behind a creative and sustainable idea like that from Phonebloks. http://www.phonebloks.com/

This would be such a boon to the consumer that I am sure industry would be reluctant to consider it as a real possibility, but as an industrial designer I never subscribed to the tenants of planned obsolescence. It seems to me that if a product is worth owning, is worth building, it is worth building well, it is worth keeping. I love this idea of modular design, and I would love it if all my peeps got behind this and helped to spread the idea, because it really is an idea that could/should be adapted across so many industries today.


A worthy concept and an creative idea for a sustainable future.


Comments

Popular Posts