What September 10th Taught Me

Thanks NPR for asking the question: "What were you doing on Sept. 10th 2001?" I remember being furiously in the throws of studying for a federal licensing exam on property damage and liability law. The test was scheduled for the next day and I was quite anxious about it. It would mean a significant income increase. A friend of mine called me to tell me that she had tickets to see Didi Bridgewater and would I come with her. "Oh, no can't possibly..." This is what I will never forget. My friend, Valerie, explained to me that there was not much I could do to change the out come of that test at this late stage, but, a relaxing drink and a jazz concert would always be memorable. In escense, life is short so cherish it, or in the immortal words of Todd Schnider "Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think." The test, scheduled at the federal building in San Francisco, was, of course canceled and John Bulaga perished in the dust and ash of the World Trade Center, while I went and spent the day with my three year old daughter at her pre school. It reminds me now of two things: one is to appreciate every day with which you are blessed and the other is to make those phone calls. John was a friend from high school, he was one of those guys you always had a good time with and remember fondly, but he was also one of those guys with an epic story and a grateful ear, so when you called him it was never a quick thing. It became one of those calls that I kept putting off, "I can't call him now it is too late, or or I'll call him later." Unfortunately, it is now a call I'll never be able to make. So I call my friends and relatives now as soon as I think about it. If nothing else what I learned from those tragic events is: take nothing for granted, live every moment, and don't put off making those phone calls. So thanks again NPR for asking. Now I have to go call my friend.

view my portfolio:
coroflot.com/m8qlaff

Comments

Popular Posts