So it Goes...


Wow what an inspiration to immerse myself in all the great information and ideas. I have been endeavoring to maintain my level of attention. And it has been easy, I am broadening my scope casting a wider net and I have come up with some true gems. For example my friend and associate Tom Heaney started telling me about his colleagues from KickApps that started up FieldLens creating a singular app for organization, communication, and tracking large scale and multiple construction projects. From tracking and ordering materials to real time contact between site coordinator, architects, suppliers, designers and contractors it is a useful tool. This serendipity put me in mind of an app that I lack the skills and the contacts develop. An app useful to carpenters, designer as well as their clients it might be an app that could view through the camera scan an object. I being into furniture pick a chair.





The app would photograph and ideally take the measure and volume of the piece add the variable of materials and it could conceivably give you cut lists and joinery options as well as a 3D wireframe. Conversely it could take in the variable of materials, dimensions and perhaps a text description to create the 3D wireframe. This would enable the clients to “draw” for themselves an approximation of what they want. It would be a great starting point in the design process and boon to communication across distances and language barriers.
That said, now think about the augmented reality aspect of being able to scan a room and essentially deconstruct everything in it in real time. I am very excited about the possibilities of the emergence of this technology. What could come of it beyond cute coupon butterflies and the way to the next whiskey bar. I tell you the implications are truly staggering Google Glass, the windscreen of your self-drive car could display for you ads…or useful information. This is technology that was science fiction when I was a kid, somewhere in the nebulous near future when I was in industrial design school, and here NOW.

Anyway just wanna shout out to the folks at FieldLens http://fieldlens.com/

Check ‘em out.








Comments

Popular Posts